Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Kite Runner

Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini

3 of 5 stars


I'm not sure why this formulaic book received such overwhelming praise. My favorite characters kept dying, and the “hero,” Amir, was such a spineless anti-hero, he made me want to puke at times (I know that was was the point...I just couldn't go with it). I wish Ali would have kicked his arse. I wanted to see him redeem himself, but he never really did…in my eyes anyway. The ending made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. BUT-- I liked the peripheral characters, and the illustration of life in Afghanistan during the rise of the Taliban. And I enjoyed the simple, yet colorful language that Hosseini used. Maybe it was just a little too much “indominable nature of the human spirit” for me. And I loved that a child had to save Amir's butt. So I gave it a 3. Maybe I could see 3.5.